In case you see lots of “Here’s to the crazy ones” quotes today. That’s not Steve Jobs. That’s an Apple ad campaign. Come on people!
Who specifically wrote it? (Ken Segall, of TBWA/Chiat/Day)
His 2005 Commencement Address at Stanford
(Reminder to self: Time to buy a tablet. But probably not an iPad2.)
You’re trying to decide between a Apple iPad 2 and a Motorola Xoom running Android 3.0 (“Gingerbread”)
My summary is that if there are specific apps or games that you know you want or if you are an app-aholic, get an iPad. Otherwise get a Xoom since all the basics — web brower, google apps, dropbox, netflix, etc work just great on a Xoom. And flash works!
Buy an iPad 2 at Amazon
Buy a Xoom at Amazon
Here are the issues:
- Price. Advantage Xoom. At Amazon at least!
- Battery life. equal. But Xoom is probably replaceable. Advantage Xoom.
- Weight: iPad is lighter
- Screen Format: Xoom is 16:9 (nearly. 16:10 actually), iPad is 4:3
- Screen Resolution: About the same but Xoom is higher res and some say easier to read.
- Flash support. Advantage Xoom. Lots of wesbites still use Flash, not HTML5.
- 3g/4g: Xoom is 4G upgradeable in Sept 2011 via Verizon
- Generally, if you care about “special” apps: Advantage iPad. A number of apps are iPad only at the moment — like the NewYorker, Flipboard, etc. And the Apple App Store is a better environment for evaluating and finding apps. Though word on the street is that the Amazon Android App Store is the up-and-coming solution to this on the Android side.
- Google Docs. Either is fine. Works great either way.
- If you care about Web: Advantage Xoom (see #5 flash support)
- Need Minecraft? Advantage Xoom. Android can run Minedroid nicely
- Cheap Keyboard? Advantage Xoom. A USB keyboard will usually “just work”. The iPad can use the Apple Wireless Keyboard (Xoom too), but that costs more than nothing. Well, you’ll need a $3 micro adapter from Amazon. Search on “Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter”
- Video Out. Both have HDMI. The Xoom just needs a $6 micro-HDMI cable from Amazon. No dock needed. That’s misinformation.
OK, that’s my list as of 9/9/2011. I’ll check back in a few months and see if I still agree!