Q: Can I watch Hulu (free! not HuluPlus which is $8) on my TV in my living room?
A: Yes! I do this all the time with a Mac Mini. A less expensive option in 2013 is a $200 Chromebook.
So just get a:
– $200 Chromebook w/ a HDMI plug
– $350 Laptop w/ a HDMI plug
– $550 Mac mini (which all have HDMI plugs) and a wireless keyboard and mouse
Normally you can only use HuluPlus via Roku (we love our Roku for Netflix!), AppleTV and other streaming services. But HuluPlus is a paid monthly subscription, whereas Hulu is free. As are most “recent episode” archives at the websites of the major networks — ABC/CBS/NBC/etc.
– Of course, do the math… a $200 chromebook is 25 months of $8/month HuluPlus. And a Roku is very easy/handy vs it is a bit of a pain to use a laptop w/ one’s TV.
– more episodes
– HD (Hulu is not usually HD)
Hulu vs Chromebook. Chromebook allows:
– flash games
– google docs / office-like apps
– use it in a different room than the TV occasionally
(Even better than a Chromebook… but more expensive/heavier/slower to start)
Hulu vs $350 laptop w/ HDMI. A laptop additionally a laptop allows:
– real Microsoft Office apps